Sunday, June 14, 2009

Don't cry because it's over; laugh because it happened

So, I thought I would ease back into my blogging with an entry that will both help you get to know me a little better, and also allow me to reminisce.

If you are reading this blog, then I'm sure you are familiar with it's name. But how did the name "Laughing Seahorse" come to be? Well, like most things in my life, this name has a deeper meaning.

As we all know, the adjective "laughing" goes hand in hand with being happy. If you stop right now, and picture someone in a fit of laughter, you will most likely have a smile on your face. That's because, in most cases, the activity is infectious. Laughter can be associated with one of the most important things we own, our memories. As humans we are very lucky to possess the ability to store memories. Our memories play a big role in shaping our lives.

This leads me to the second word in my blog title, 'Seahorse". I've always been fascinated with these magnificent creatures and I began my love for seahorses back in college. I worked for a professor in the Psychology department studying an area of the brain called the hippocampus. It turns out that the word hippocampus actually means "seahorse" in Greek. It earned this name because it is curved in a manner that resembles a seahorse. This area of the brain is in charge of learning and storing memories. Our studies were geared towards obtaining a better understanding of the disease Alzheimer’s. Most people know that this disease destroys memories due to a deterioration of brain cells. But what most people don't know is that this deterioration occurs mainly in this one area of the brain.

While studying the hippocampus, I simultaneously grew more intrigued with seahorses. Not only does the seahorse symbolize one of the most important areas of the brain, it also has several other meanings. The Ancient Greeks and Romans believed the seahorse was an attribute of the sea god Neptune/Poseidon. As such, the seahorse was considered a symbol of strength. Chinese cultures believe that the seahorse is a type of sea dragon, and they are revered for their power and are thought to be symbols of good luck.

The physical abilities of a seahorse are quite impressive as well. They can wrap their tails around the nearest object in order to anchor themselves in turbulent waters. This demonstrates their ability to persevere, even when faced with the most extreme obstacles. Along with the tail, seahorses have another characteristic that make them quite unique; their eyesight. They have an extremely sharp sense of sight. Both of their eyes move independently which allows them to be very aware of those around them.

I see a lot of myself in the seahorse. I can be strong when I need to be and I possess the ability to weather any kind of storm. Perhaps the most visibal trait the seahorse and I share is awareness. I am a hyper-vigilant person, almost to a fault. I have a feeling for my surroundings at all times and in all situations. This is a defense mechanism built by my subconcious to protect me from harm.

So, there you have it, "The Laughing Seahorse". A name which represents both who I am and what I love to do. Without my "seahorse", I would not be capable of writing the words you are reading at this very moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment